Carbon Monoxide Detectors: How to Protect Your House Against Fire

Carbon monoxide detectors are an essential part of a safe and healthy home. Why? Carbon monoxide is a gas that comprises of one molecule of carbon and one molecule of oxygen as compared to the more stable carbon dioxide that contains two molecules of oxygen and one molecule of carbon. If you’re wondering what’s the difference, it is just that due to this composition, carbon monoxide is highly inflammable and this smoke can be hazardous to humans.

To prevent your home from a possible fire and your family from lung problems, carbon monoxide detectors are a must in every home. Safelyf.net is a reliable site that review different types of carbon monoxide detectors to suit your home, preferences, and budget.

Now, let’s take a deeper look into how carbon monoxide is produced and what you can do to prevent a fire.

How is the carbon monoxide produced?

Most people tend to think that carbon monoxide can’t be present inside their house, but the reality is it is formed when anything is burned. Unfortunately, it emits no smell or color and this is what makes this gas so lethal.

Some of the common ways of how carbon monoxide is generated inside your house are:

  • Using boilers to heat water
  • Burning gas for cooking
  • Indoor use of grills
  • Rooms or homes with poor ventilation
  • Constant running of devices like lawnmowers and possibly even cars
  • Fumes from cleaning liquids
  • Smoke from old appliances that have not been serviced for many years.

As you can see, these are some common causes, so no home that has any of the above things are immune from carbon monoxide build-up. But thankfully, the detectors are designers to alert you when these levels go beyond a common threshold.

Effects of carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide has a two-pronged effect on you and your environment. First off, it increases the chances of fire, so as soon as your carbon monoxide detector beeps, everyone in your family should move outside. Also, keep the windows and doors open to ventilate the house and let out all the carbon monoxide. Enter your home after a few minutes as this should push out the gas from your home.

The other serious serious impact from carbon monoxide is poisoning. This gas binds with your red blood cells and prevents oxygen from entering your lungs and as a result, it can get lethal and result in death as well. Some of the symptoms you should watch out for are:

  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness
  • Mild headaches
  • Disorientation

If you have one or more of these symptoms, step out of your house right away to get some fresh air. If it is serious, make sure you head to a hospital right away.

To prevent these complications, buy a carbon monoxide installer, and have it at home, so you can step out and save yourself and your family from fire or poisoning.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s